The Smith Mountain Lake Regional Chamber of Commerce (SMLRCC) is searching for its next Executive Director.
The principal role of the Executive Director is to ensure the effective operation of the SMLRCC while coordinating all administrative activities, including programs, events, membership, staffing, training, and supervision of staff and volunteers. The Executive Director also provides the leadership and organizational skills to unite the businesses throughout the Smith Mountain Lake region and to develop plans to promote tourism.
The salary is competitive for this year-round position with full benefits including health insurance.
General knowledge of the Smith Mountain Lake region; excellent verbal and written communication skills with attention to detail; at least 5 years of experience in managing/supervising staff; demonstrated budgeting and financial management skills; experience in work related to Chamber of Commerce leadership activities is preferred.
The Smith Mountain Lake Regional Chamber of Commerce represents 750 businesses and is located at Bridgewater Plaza on Smith Mountain Lake. Its mission is to promote tourism and grow business, thereby creating and maintaining a thriving economic environment for the Smith Mountain Lake region. The SMLRCC operates a state visitor center that is staffed by volunteers. The SMLRCC organizes many community events including the Annual Wine Festival, Business Expo and more. The SMLRCC strives to inform its members about local, state, and federal issues and to represent them through legislative affairs, participation in committees of interest, and partnerships.
Essential Job Responsibilities
The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing all Chamber operations including member recruitment and retention, marketing and promotion, government affairs, financial management, community relations, Chamber events, and Board relations. Specifically, the Executive Director must:
- Hire and supervise the Chamber team.
- Develop and retain a strong membership by visiting members, listening to their needs, and being a visible leader in the region.
- Work in conjunction with the finance committee to develop an annual operating budget.
- Develop and execute a marketing plan to position Smith Mountain Lake as a premier destination offering outstanding scenery, diverse recreational experiences, history, culture and rural charm.
- Stay apprised of local, state, and federal issues of interest, working in conjunction with the Board of Directors to communicate Chamber positions and educate members.
- Serve as the Chamber’s chief media contact.
- Maintain positive relationships with county leaders, local residents, Virginia’s Congressional delegation, state legislators, state tourism, business organizations and others.
- Help plan, participate in, and manage Chamber events throughout the year.
- Implement and evaluate the Chamber’s strategic plan with staff, Board of Directors and volunteers.
How to Apply:
Send resume, cover letter, contact information for three references, and salary requirements via e-mail to SMLRCC Chair of the Board of Directors, Zach Wimmer at: firstname.lastname@example.org.