You don’t have to be an experienced boater or own your own vessel to enjoy Smith Mountain Lake. Here are nine fun and easy ways to enjoy our waters.
- Rent a boat. From zippy runabouts to luxury pontoons to high-performance wake boats, local marinas offer a number of options to accommodate groups of up to 12 people.
- Give personal watercraft a try. Many marinas also rent PWCs, commonly referred to as jet skis or Sea-Doos. These are an easy, affordable choice for 1-3 passengers eager to explore
- Rent a kayak or canoe for a more relaxed outing. Early morning when the water is calm is the best time to take a shoreline paddle, soaking up nature’s beauty and observing wildlife.
- Venture out on a standup paddleboard. SUPing is a unique and exhilarating way to experience the water. Rentals are available at area marinas and retail sporting goods stores.
- Float! All you need for a restful respite is a floatie, noodle or water saddle. If you have access to a dock, cast off from there. If not, visit the beaches of SML State Park or SML Community Park.
- Take a cruise on the Virginia Dare. A fun, relaxing experience in any season, the Virginia Dare is a 19th century replica sidewheeler that offers unforgettable sight-seeing excursions, often with lunch or dinner included.
- Charter a sailboat. SML Sailing School offers half-day charters for groups of up to four people. More adventurous sailors can take a sailing class, which runs five hours and covers basic sailing principles and maneuvers.
- Fish with a guide. Professional fishing guides offer full-day and half-day excursions, showing you not only top techniques but also hot spots where the fish are biting. Equipment is provided but you’ll need a Virginia fishing license, available locally for a small fee.
- Head to one of our public beaches. In season, Smith Mountain Lake Community Park and SML State Park both offer soft sand and guarded swimming for a small admission fee.
More from the Smith Mountain Lake Blog
Full Width Template When you visit Smith Mountain Lake, please bring your dog. We love them! And your pup will adore it here, too. These regional trails are great picks for a casual walk or heart-pumping hike with your four-legged friends. Please remember to always keep your dog leashed, bring plenty of water and pick…
Full Width Template Being the captain of your crew’s boating adventures means more than knowing how to operate the vessel. It’s also about understanding the rhythm of the lake, respecting the shared space and being mindful of those around you. Follow these tips for a safe and delightful experience on Smith Mountain Lake. Observe lake…
Full Width Template Are you looking for those perfect Instagrammable locations at Smith Mountain Lake? Look no further! From the iconic “V” in Smith Mountain to the charming Craddock Creek Lighthouse and beyond, SML boasts many picturesque spots to make your Instagram feed pop. 1. Smith Mountain There’s nothing more iconic here than the “V”…
Full Width Template With more than 20,000 acres of pristine waters and 500 miles of picturesque shoreline, Smith Mountain Lake is an outdoor lover’s paradise located at the foot of the breathtaking Blue Ridge Mountains. Stunning in all four seasons, you’ll be hard pressed to find a place with more scenic beauty than in…