You don’t have to be an experienced boater or own your own vessel to enjoy Smith Mountain Lake. Here are nine fun and easy ways to enjoy our waters.
- Rent a boat. From zippy runabouts to luxury pontoons to high-performance wake boats, local marinas offer a number of options to accommodate groups of up to 12 people.
- Give personal watercraft a try. Many marinas also rent PWCs, commonly referred to as jet skis or Sea-Doos. These are an easy, affordable choice for 1-3 passengers eager to explore
- Rent a kayak or canoe for a more relaxed outing. Early morning when the water is calm is the best time to take a shoreline paddle, soaking up nature’s beauty and observing wildlife.
- Venture out on a standup paddleboard. SUPing is a unique and exhilarating way to experience the water. Rentals are available at area marinas and retail sporting goods stores.
- Float! All you need for a restful respite is a floatie, noodle or water saddle. If you have access to a dock, cast off from there. If not, visit the beaches of SML State Park or SML Community Park.
- Take a cruise on the Virginia Dare. A fun, relaxing experience in any season, the Virginia Dare is a 19th century replica sidewheeler that offers unforgettable sight-seeing excursions, often with lunch or dinner included.
- Charter a sailboat. SML Sailing School offers half-day charters for groups of up to four people. More adventurous sailors can take a sailing class, which runs five hours and covers basic sailing principles and maneuvers.
- Fish with a guide. Professional fishing guides offer full-day and half-day excursions, showing you not only top techniques but also hot spots where the fish are biting. Equipment is provided but you’ll need a Virginia fishing license, available locally for a small fee.
- Head to one of our public beaches. In season, Smith Mountain Lake Community Park and SML State Park both offer soft sand and guarded swimming for a small admission fee.
More from the Smith Mountain Lake Blog
16 warm-weather hidden gems to explore at Smith Mountain Lake
May 3, 2021 – As we gear up for our busiest (and warmest) season here at Smith Mountain Lake, it’s the perfect opportunity to create that summer bucket list. In this WanderLove blog post, you’ll find a breakdown of what we consider hidden gems, most of which are accessible by both land and water. Keep…
Tastes of Smith Mountain Lake: Explore our restaurant scene
March 31, 2021- The restaurant scene at Smith Mountain Lake is deliciously dynamic with dozens of spots to grab breakfast, lunch and dinner both off and on the water. At Smith Mountain Lake, you’ll discover cuisines ranging from American grill to Asian fusion to Mexican and Italian, plus quirky food trucks, mom-and-pop ice cream shops…
Smith Mountain Lake Fishing [It’s the Reel Deal]
March 1, 2021 – Smith Mountain Lake offers an abundance of activities both on and off the water, including a variety water sports such as boating, kayaking, wakeboarding, water skiing, jet skiing, and the most popular pastime, fishing. In 2018, Bassmaster Magazine voted Smith Mountain Lake the 18th best lake for bass fishing in the Northeastern Region of…
How to Plan a Romantic Getaway to Smith Mountain Lake
Feb. 1, 2021 – There is something dreamy, adventurous even, about packing up for a weekend away with your significant other. Off the beaten path in the foothills of the magnificent Blue Ridge Mountains lies Smith Mountain Lake. Whether you seek days full of activities or more serene time spent relaxing with your loved one, our…
- « Previous
- Next »