You don’t have to be an experienced boater or own your own vessel to enjoy Smith Mountain Lake. Here are nine fun and easy ways to enjoy our waters.
- Rent a boat. From zippy runabouts to luxury pontoons to high-performance wake boats, local marinas offer a number of options to accommodate groups of up to 12 people.
- Give personal watercraft a try. Many marinas also rent PWCs, commonly referred to as jet skis or Sea-Doos. These are an easy, affordable choice for 1-3 passengers eager to explore
- Rent a kayak or canoe for a more relaxed outing. Early morning when the water is calm is the best time to take a shoreline paddle, soaking up nature’s beauty and observing wildlife.
- Venture out on a standup paddleboard. SUPing is a unique and exhilarating way to experience the water. Rentals are available at area marinas and retail sporting goods stores.
- Float! All you need for a restful respite is a floatie, noodle or water saddle. If you have access to a dock, cast off from there. If not, visit the beaches of SML State Park or SML Community Park.
- Take a cruise on the Virginia Dare. A fun, relaxing experience in any season, the Virginia Dare is a 19th century replica sidewheeler that offers unforgettable sight-seeing excursions, often with lunch or dinner included.
- Charter a sailboat. SML Sailing School offers half-day charters for groups of up to four people. More adventurous sailors can take a sailing class, which runs five hours and covers basic sailing principles and maneuvers.
- Fish with a guide. Professional fishing guides offer full-day and half-day excursions, showing you not only top techniques but also hot spots where the fish are biting. Equipment is provided but you’ll need a Virginia fishing license, available locally for a small fee.
- Head to one of our public beaches. In season, Smith Mountain Lake Community Park and SML State Park both offer soft sand and guarded swimming for a small admission fee.
More from the Smith Mountain Lake Blog
Get to Know Smith Mountain Lake’s Communities
Dec. 21, 2020 – The new year always brings exciting things to look forward to, including travel plans with family and friends. Scenic, relaxing and brimming with rural charm, Smith Mountain Lake is an ideal destination in all four seasons! Whether your plan is to cozy up in a cabin to potentially see some snow fall…
Make Smith Mountain Lake Your Home for the Holidays
Courtesy of Mindful Light Photography Nov. 23, 2020 – The holiday season is upon us and to make things a little easier, we’re providing a holiday guide for the Smith Mountain Lake area ranging from places to stay, dine with family, shop for the perfect gifts, pick up your tree and other Christmas décor, and…
Off-Season Hidden Gems at Smith Mountain Lake
Nov. 1, 2020 – As we wind down from what is regarded as the busy season at Smith Mountain Lake from the months of March through October, some may not recognize the multitude of exciting opportunities that await them in the cooler months ahead. Whether you’re a full-time lake resident, a vacationer taking advantage of…
Fall in Love with Smith Mountain Lake
Oct. 7, 2020 – Fall at Smith Mountain Lake (SML) is the perfect season for camping, leaf peeping, and spending time with family and friends. Stunning fall foliage and cooler temperatures create the ideal atmosphere for experiences such as sunset wine tastings, a variety of autumn-themed events and activities, and Halloween festivities. Whether you prefer a…
- « Previous
- Next »