You don’t have to be an experienced boater or own your own vessel to enjoy Smith Mountain Lake. Here are nine fun and easy ways to enjoy our waters.
- Rent a boat. From zippy runabouts to luxury pontoons to high-performance wake boats, local marinas offer a number of options to accommodate groups of up to 12 people.
- Give personal watercraft a try. Many marinas also rent PWCs, commonly referred to as jet skis or Sea-Doos. These are an easy, affordable choice for 1-3 passengers eager to explore
- Rent a kayak or canoe for a more relaxed outing. Early morning when the water is calm is the best time to take a shoreline paddle, soaking up nature’s beauty and observing wildlife.
- Venture out on a standup paddleboard. SUPing is a unique and exhilarating way to experience the water. Rentals are available at area marinas and retail sporting goods stores.
- Float! All you need for a restful respite is a floatie, noodle or water saddle. If you have access to a dock, cast off from there. If not, visit the beaches of SML State Park or SML Community Park.
- Take a cruise on the Virginia Dare. A fun, relaxing experience in any season, the Virginia Dare is a 19th century replica sidewheeler that offers unforgettable sight-seeing excursions, often with lunch or dinner included.
- Charter a sailboat. SML Sailing School offers half-day charters for groups of up to four people. More adventurous sailors can take a sailing class, which runs five hours and covers basic sailing principles and maneuvers.
- Fish with a guide. Professional fishing guides offer full-day and half-day excursions, showing you not only top techniques but also hot spots where the fish are biting. Equipment is provided but you’ll need a Virginia fishing license, available locally for a small fee.
- Head to one of our public beaches. In season, Smith Mountain Lake Community Park and SML State Park both offer soft sand and guarded swimming for a small admission fee.
More from the Smith Mountain Lake Blog
Oct. 7, 2020 – Fall at Smith Mountain Lake (SML) is the perfect season for camping, leaf peeping, and spending time with family and friends. Stunning fall foliage and cooler temperatures create the ideal atmosphere for experiences such as sunset wine tastings, a variety of autumn-themed events and activities, and Halloween festivities. Whether you prefer a…
Sept. 16, 2020 Smith Mountain Lake (SML) is among the most popular residential, vacation and recreational spots on the East Coast. Set amid the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, SML is a breathtakingly scenic destination with 22,000 acres of crystal-clear water, making it a top destination for adventure. Vacationers from across the globe come to SML during…
WanderLove is calling – and adventure is the destination. WanderLove is about reconnecting with what you love: on and off-water outdoor activities, cultural experiences, and the winding roads in between. Smith Mountain Lake (SML) is the absolute perfect WanderLove road trip destination! This is one in a series of blog posts focused on on-water adventures…